Thursday, December 17, 2009

Rockin' live performances for the ages

Sometimes a rock band, even one that I don't particularly like, turns in a great live performance. As I happened to see Sly and the Family Stone at Woodstock recently on television, I have to say that their medley of Dance to the Music, Music Lover and I Want To Take You Higher was fabulous and still resonates with me 40 years later. Considering that Sly did it at Woodstock, where there was no shortage of great musicians, adds to the legend.

As I think of other live recordings, I have to include Grand Funk's I'm Your Captain at Shea Stadium (1971) as amongst the best single songs played in front of an audience. I think Jimi Hendrix was also at the top of his game at the Monterey Pop Festival where he played Like a Rolling Stone.

These were all great songs, but the visuals, energy and creativity are what pushes them to the top for me. Great musicianship and stage presence. Thankfully, they were all caught on film.

Would be interested to know what live songs standout in your memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment