Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Talent and potential aren't always enough

Well, the "Favorite New York Yankee since 1960" poll is winding down. It appears Derek Jeter will edge out Mickey Mantle for the top spot. I met Mantle a couple times towards the end of his playing days, so I was sort of rooting for him, but Jeter is a great player in his own right and probably a lot nicer than the Mick. Mantle was not a big fan of having his picture taken with brats like me, although I do have some standing with him inside the tunnel near the dugout.

I liked roaming around Yankee Stadium in the 1960s, having my picture taken with guys like Joe Pepitone. Yes, that's me with Pepitone, circa 1965. Pepitone was one of the first players to use hair products for men. He was also the first major leaguer to blow dry his hair. He had a ton of potential to be a Yankee great, but vanity and some legal problems hampered his career. Now he's just a punch line on HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm." Sometimes talent and potential aren't enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment