Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Let it be

The Beatles never seem to go away. Never seem to find their proper resting place in music history. Half of them are dead. One still tours. And the fourth, Ringo, probably thanks the rock gods daily for the good fortune of being in the band of the century with just mediocre drumming talent and vocal ability that isn't exactly in the same league as Robert Plant. I must say, however, I liked Ringo in the movie, "Caveman."

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate The Beatles. I own a few of their CDs. I loved Abbey Road. I liked them more when they became a little scruffier later in their careers, but appreciate their entire body of work despite the silly suits and cereal bowl haircuts in the early 60s.

However, all the latest hoopla over the Fab Four is becoming a little annoying because it's no longer about the music. It's about making money. How many times are people going to try to get rich off of this band by repackaging the same old songs? The latest venture involves the remastering, in stereo, of classic Beatles albums. This comes on the heals of new video games that feature the band's music. Over the years, marketing experts, record companies and others have given us Beatlemania and Cirque du Soleil's LOVE. We've had box sets and gone from vinyl to tape to CD. You could spend hundreds of dollars just repurchasing the same Beatles albums in different formats. And don't forget all the DVDs.

I am not buying anymore Beatles stuff, just like I am not buying anymore Jimi Hendrix albums. I am a Rolling Stones kind of guy, anyway. Always preferred the Stones' bad boy image and edgier music. And say what you will about Mick and the boys, but at least they are still putting out new music and performing for audiences. And for the most part, they are all still alive. Only bassist Bill Wyman has left the band. And no one paid attention to him anyway. Of course, Brian Jones, a guitarist, died many years ago. His eventual replacement, Ron Wood, has carried on very nicely for decades.

I think all this Beatles marketing is just another indication of how bad music is today. I find myself going back in time and listening to artists who predated me rather than moving forward to listen to hip-hop or other types of modern music. I rather listen to Sinatra, Cash or The Temptations than endure yet another rap song with the same exact beat as thousands of other rap songs. But even with that said, I can't keep plunging into my wallet to buy another version of Help!

The Beatles are one of the greatest musical groups in any era in any genre, but until science (or music companies) figure out a way to get Paul, John, Ringo and George back into the recording studio or on stage at Wolf Trap, I am done spending money on their music.

4 comments:

  1. Mick don't knock Beatles Rock Band till you try it :) We have to have you over to play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think about all the remakes of the older songs? Seems like the new artists, like movie producers, would rather copy than create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creativity is taking a hit in modern culture. While technology should have fostered creative expression, I fear all it's done is lower the creative bar for all kinds of artists -- musicians included.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I played Guitar Hero once and it made me dizzy. Also proved that you don't need to know a thing about a real guitar to play the video game. Not sure if Rock Band is like that.

    ReplyDelete