Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Lynchburg College loses a legend

Unless you are immersed in the history of college soccer or went to Lynchburg College sometime in the last five decades or so, you probably haven't heard of Bill Shellenberger.

Sports Illustrated did an article in the late 1970s about the Lynchburg College soccer coach. Shellenberger had just broken the record for most wins of any college soccer coach in any division. For a small, division III school, this was quite an accomplishment.

Shellenberger died this week. He was 88 years old.

Lynchburg College doesn't have a football team. When I was getting ready to attend the school in 1975, I was mildly taken aback by this. I mean, what's college without a football team to cheer in the fall? I quickly discovered part of the reason why LC didn't have a football program.

Soccer ruled at this liberal arts school in southern Virginia. No one really wanted a football team. We intimidated soccer teams from much larger schools, often beating their scholarship players with our rag-tag, non-scholarship team. It reached a point where division I schools like the University of Virginia -- known for a pretty good soccer program at the top level of the NCAA -- wouldn't play Lynchburg College. There was nothing to be gained by the mighty Cavaliers losing to a smaller school. So they took their ball and went home.

Soccer games at LC were an event. The field was right in front of the three main men's dorms, so watching the games was easy. In the 1970s, the students were a bit out of control in their enthusiasm for the soccer team. I fully admit that fans often crossed lines in adding to the intimidation factor as opposing teams walked by us to take the field or to go to the locker room at halftime.

But the main reason for the team's success was its coach. Shellenberger was one of those rare people, an educator in the best sense, who would have succeeded in leading any team or group of young people. As sports editor of the college newspaper, I interviewed Shellenberger many times. I didn't always write complimentary articles about the team, but he never took anything that I said personally. He was always accommodating.

My last encounter with Shellenberger was at the graduation ceremony in 1979. He was part of the contingent of professors and various dignitaries on stage. As I received my diploma and handshake from the school president, I saw Shellenberger get out of his seat and take a step towards me. As I was about to leave the stage, he shook my hand and gave me that great smile as I headed out into the world.

Today, I too am smiling as the coach embarks on a new journey.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I know I shouldn't be reading your blogs while I am at work, but you shouldn't be making me tear up either. LOL! Heart warming and awesome. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete