Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A pause for a blog update

This is month 12 of Calvacca Blog. When I started the blog, it was something to do -- a way to pass time in between playing guitar, searching for work and taking walks to clear my mind. A way to stay connected to the news and maintain whatever writing skills that I might possess. I have learned some technical skills like how to embed video into posts and adjust the HTML coding to make them fit, created links and utilized counters that track the number of visitors to the website. I know the identity of most of my core readers. They are family and friends. Some, however, remain anonymous but are fairly loyal followers. Others just take a peek now and then or are one-time visitors who did a Google search on some particular topic that I happened to have written about. I don't know how many people from foreign countries have come to this blog, but I am guessing it's at least three dozen. My numbers are small compared with the big-time blogs, but drawing a huge audience has never been my intent.

I have hammered away on topics that are important to me. The unemployment situation hits particularly close to home, not just because of my own situation, but because of others in my life who are either out of work or afraid they are going to lose their jobs. I realize joblessness doesn't always make for compelling reading. In fact, I am almost certain people avoid this blog like the plague because they don't want to be reminded of certain realities in my life or in the economy as a whole that might eventually impact their lives. I don't curse. I don't write about celebrity nonsense or show sensational photos. Therefore, the odds of this blog ever going viral are pretty much zilch.

There are very few warm and fuzzy tales or literary moments of note on this blog. While some bloggers focus on one subject, I've tried to remain open to writing about various issues that come up in the news or in my own life. I have tried to write these commentaries in a straight-forward, narrative style.


Besides it being somewhat educational and helping to pass the time on some lonely days, blogging hasn't been all that I expected it to be. With that said, I am not certain what expectations I had 12 months ago. With millions of bloggers across the world, one isn't likely to be discovered here without a lot of marketing. Advertising and sales aren't my thing. One blogger isn't going to change the world, although collectively there is some evidence that blogging matters in shifting opinions and policy. So in that way, I do feel that I am minimally contributing to society. Of course, that doesn't pay the bills.

For the most part, though, bloggers are voices in the night. Some are nut jobs. Others provide a lot of food for thought not seen in the mainstream media. Most struggle to build a following. A lot of bloggers are former journalists, like me, who lost their jobs in the recession and can't find their way back into a newsroom for whatever reason.

I am not sure where this blog is going as the one-year anniversary approaches. Lately, I feel that I have said everything I can say about the economy, the state of politics, the world in general and the condition of my old profession. Until things change, what else can I rant about or applaud?

The blog could use a lot more reader participation, but I have had to tighten filters on the comments because of the typical Internet stream of lunatics that want to leave inappropriate remarks. I don't use foul language or make threats on this site, but apparently those who comment don't have those same values. Seeing how ugly and limited people can be has been one of the negatives of blogging. Doesn't inspire much confidence in my fellow human beings. But that aside, blogging has been a mostly positive experience in a rather negative year. I have no regrets.

1 comment:

  1. I may not post a comment often, but I follow your blog regularly :-) I hope you keep it up as it is one of my favorites ...

    I can relate to a lot of what you have to say .. and even if you feel you are not making much of an impact across a broad spectrum, you are touching a few lives, including mine.

    Thanks for your continued contributions to the blog world :-)

    ReplyDelete