Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Missing the old Greenberry's cell-free zone

Greenberry's Coffee & Tea Company started in Charlottesville, Va. Now there are franchises throughout the commonwealth and a few in neighboring states.

I hadn't been to the Greenberry's in Reston in months. But today I was in area and wanted to have a good cup of coffee before going home. In addition, I wanted some quiet -- something not associated with Starbucks and other large franchises.

I was disappointed to see that this particular Greenberry's no longer frowns upon cellphone use. And sure enough, a woman was chatting up a storm on her phone, oblivious to everyone around her.

Seems there are few places left where cellphones aren't permitted. That's unfortunate. Cellphones deter the opportunity one might have to start a face-to-face conversation with another patron. While these devices connect us in one way, they separate and isolate us in other ways.

I understand Greenberry's relaxing its store policy from a business standpoint, but I still think it's a shame on a more profound, cultural level.

No comments:

Post a Comment