Monday, December 7, 2009

You can't budget for busted windows

When one hasn't worked in a year, an unexpected $700 car-repair bill is reason enough for quite a bit of anxiety. I hadn't had to worry about affording to fix a broken window, decayed tooth or leaky roof in a long time because for 29 years I worked. I didn't always make a lot of money, but I made enough to get by. Today's car mishap reminded me of how a big chunk of cash taken here or there over time can eventually lead to homelessness, which at my age is almost surreal to think about, yet a very real possibility as the months fly by and the savings account dwindles. While we've cut back on many things due to my being cast out of the newspaper business with thousands of others at the worst possible time, life still happens. Things break. However, if I do end up living in my car, at least the window regulator and battery will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment