Thursday, December 10, 2009

E&P: More than just a magazine

Editor & Publisher magazine is closing down after 125 years of publication. The web site will also cease operations.

Probably unheard of by most of the population, E&P was the magazine of newspaper professionals. Even more popular than its stories about the business were its famous classified ads. Long before the internet explosion, this is where many young and not-so-young newspaper people went to look for a job. I began subscribing to it while still in college in 1979.

In part, I got my job at USA Today in 1995 by answering an ad in E&P. I also was hired by a Miami-area daily newspaper in 1980 and found an editing job in Meriden, Conn., in the mid-1980s thanks to the E&P classifieds.

With newspaper jobs drying up and layoffs continuing, my search for employment just got a little bit harder today as I still went to E&P to read about trends in the business and to peruse the help-wanted ads.

Read more about the E&P demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment