Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Yankee fans cheering again


My daughter is at the Yankee game in Baltimore tonight. Loyalty to the pinstripes runs deep on her father's side of the family. Last I checked, The Bronx Bombers were losing. But it's been a good year for the Yankees. Some of us New York fans were beginning to feel that the magic might have left with former manager Joe Torre. Now many fans are rooting for a Yankee showdown against Torre's L.A. Dodgers in the World Series, not to show up Joe (who is still beloved in his native New York), but to add some buzz to the "fall classic." Anything between New York and Los Angeles is good for sports. Living near D.C. for a decade and a half, I get a bit tired of all this Redskin-Cowboy rivalry talk.

My daughter grew up in Maryland, went to college at the University of Maryland, and generally, like her husband, is a supporter of all teams in Baltimore or College Park. Geez, her cat is named Lewis -- after Ray Lewis of the Ravens. The city has two wonderful venues to watch professional football and baseball. Charm City is dangerous as Hell, but I like going to games there and eating anything made with blue crabs. However, when it comes to the Yankees, well, Baltimore and the Orioles have to take a back seat with my daughter. I am glad I helped raise her right.

I like this year's edition of the Yankees. I like the personality of the team. Reminds me a bit of the championship teams of several years ago. Not sure the pitching is quite as good, but there is reason to believe that the Yankees will win the division and do well in the postseason. There is a vibe, a togetherness about this team that I haven't sensed since Bernie Williams retired. The players are having more fun and acting less corporate. Playing looser.

There is an informal poll on the right side of this blog that allows you to vote for your favorite Yankee player from the last five decades. There are nine players to choose from. I would have liked to have included Mickey Rivers, Goose Gossage, Sweet Lou and Catfish Hunter, as well as others, but there is only so much room down the rail of this Web page. Fans of all teams (with the exception of the Red Sox) are encouraged to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment