Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Novacaine doesn't dull all pains

The dentist office called early this morning. Twice. There was some confusion on their behalf about my new insurance. The confusion stemmed from their not being aware that I am now on my wife's plan. For the first time in the 14 years that I have gone to this dentist, I do not have my own plan because I am not employed. I guess it was an easy mistake for them to assume that my new plan was connected to my employer.

OK, so you might be saying, what's the big deal?

Here's the problem. Almost every day there are the tiniest reminders of the "abnormality" of unemployment. Little things that chip away at one's spirit and sense of worth. I always provided for myself, before and after I was married. For 29 years, I was self-sufficient. Prided myself on being independent. Had my ups and downs, financially speaking, but always had a job. Always had my own medical and dental insurance. That ended when I was laid off by USA TODAY last December.

No matter how many people join the ranks of the unemployed, there is still a feeling in the air that being without a job is rare and even looked down upon a tad by society as a whole. After all, in the county where I live in Northern Virginia, over 90 percent of the people are working. So, at least statistically, I am an oddity. Sometimes I think I might feel better about myself if I lived in Detroit, where unemployment has skyrocketed. At least there, maybe the dentist office might be able to figure out why they can't match up my insurance with my employer without having to hit another nerve over the phone.

Everyone sees the dramatic stories on TV and in the newspapers about the foreclosures and the tent cities that have resulted from the loss of jobs during this recession. But no one, other than the unemployed, feels the little tragedies that occur each and every day. Would be nice if there was a novacaine for the soul.

4 comments:

  1. The weirdest thing for me was going to the grocery store or Wal Mart in the middle of the day and wondering what people where thinking about me (i.e. why I was there and not at work).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the identical insurance experience, and it was definitely a "funny" moment.

    I also have the same feelings as Texas Red. Once every couple of weeks or so, I'll head to a nearby state park that has a lake with a beach and great biking trails. When I go there on a weekday among the soccer moms and their kids and teenagers, I definitely fee conspicuous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going to movies all of the time, just to get away, but also to be "doing" something. No one can see you (well, except for maybe others in the theater who are doing exactly the same thing). And it gave me a few hours to think of other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once you spend enough time out in "the world" instead of the office, you will change your viewpoint. The gym is packed at 2 p.m. The mall is full too. Movies run at 8 a.m. on weekdays, and it's not just retirees in there.

    After a while, you wonder who the fools are who still go to work. Why isn't everyone out and about at 10 a.m.?

    It's an alternate universe that appears odd when you first step into it. Later on, the office routine will seem bizarre.

    RITFW

    ReplyDelete