Wednesday, June 2, 2010

One news story that needs to go away

I wasn't going to do this. I didn't want to be part of the madness. But the insanity of the coverage of the Sandra Bullock-Jesse James breakup is just too much for me not to comment.

Why does anyone outside of their families and friends care about this couple? Their split should have been a brief in the newspaper, a mention at the end of some celebrity-oriented show, a blurb on the Yahoo news home page. That's it.

But here we are, several weeks into the breakup and now we learn that Bullock is going to make an appearance at The MTV Movie Awards on June 6 in Los Angeles. Oh, my God! Stop the presses. Get those CNN reporters out of Louisiana and send them to Hollywood.

I've had it with this story. Not one more minute of any legitimate journalist's time should be spent on it. Unless the mediocre-at-best actress sets herself on fire at the awards or the biker-turned-drama queen figures out a way to stop the oil leak in the gulf, I don't want to hear or read another word about them, their marriage, their childhood traumas or anything else. In fact, I am getting ready to burn my West Coast Choppers t-shirt when I am done with this post.

Lighter news is sometimes a necessary evil in a celebrity-obsessed society such as ours. Media companies need to stay in business. I get it. But the breakup of these two morons doesn't even rise to the level of the Gore separation. Get off of it already.

While on the subject of media coverage, I am glad to see newsman Anderson Cooper of CNN doing a good job on the oil story each night at 10 p.m. ET. While some other major media have pulled back a bit, CNN seems to be intensifying its coverage of the environmental disaster. This is literally a story that gets worse by the day and deserves smart coverage, which Cooper seems to be providing.

The oil spill story, not the Bullock-James ordeal, is one that needs to remain above the fold for many weeks, if not months to come. It's a story that impacts us all in ways we might not have ever seen, while the divorce of two celebrities means relatively nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment