Thursday, May 13, 2010

U.S. representative responds to blog item

I am flattered that Rep. Frank Wolf of Virginia apparently reads this blog. The congressman snail-mailed me a second letter today clarifying why his first note was tardy, which was something I mentioned in a post last week.

"I try to respond to my mail as fast as I can, but sometimes the volume of mail and e-mail can slow down the response time," he said.

Wolf ended the letter with his best wishes regarding my search for employment, noting that "the newspaper industry is in dire straits." To quote another Republican of lesser intellect, "You betcha."

Maybe I should send a resume to Mr. Wolf's office. I've never said I couldn't work for a Republican. How 'bout it, Frank? Want to help out a journalist down on his luck?

In all serious, the 10th-District representative is a pretty decent guy. I have heard many positive stories from Virginians about his willingness to reach out over the years. When he came to my office at a newspaper in Manassas, Va., to talk about various issues with me 15 years ago, I was very impressed that he would take the time to acknowledge the small publication. Many politicians in Washington don't bother with community newspapers. They go for the large-circulation papers like USA Today, my last place of employment, or The Washington Post.

Now, about that job ...

No comments:

Post a Comment