Saturday, May 22, 2010

A little respect goes a long way

Several days ago, I wrote about "Mr Rude." Today, I am writing about a far better experience that I had with a person in a screening position.

I recently had the pleasure of speaking to a human resources recruiter who said she no longer bothers to ask people why they were laid off or what they've been doing since losing their jobs -- two standard HR questions. She said layoffs are so common and unemployment rates remain so high in her state that it's not even worth talking about in interviews with job candidates. I also suspected that she's probably a decent human being, sensitive to the plight of those who are looking for work, and didn't want to put me in the awkward position of having to explain the current gap on my resume.

This recruiter saw that I had worked for 29 consecutive years and wasn't some unstable, unqualified person. I appreciated not getting interrogated about the last 18 months, though I was fully prepared to explain my circumstances. The conversation was respectful and even humorous at times. I wish more people in hiring and screening positions were as positive and treated experienced professionals the way this recruiter treated me last Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment