Thursday, November 19, 2009

Blogging in the dark

My blogging experiment has been going on for nearly three months. In that time, I've learned a lot, almost all of it positive or useful in some way. I hope some of what I have learned while blogging will assist me in eventually landing a decent job, as it seems online skills are pretty much mandatory now, particularly in the news business.

The
negatives have been few. Permitting anonymous comments was a mistake in that it allowed too many unfiltered, hit-and-run remarks at the start. However, making it a little tougher for readers to post comments by using certain restrictive blog settings has apparently killed comments entirely, even those from registered users. Trying to find a balance between being open and keeping things in good taste is something very difficult to achieve on the web.

Blogging is also time consuming. I am a bit of a news junkie, so reading takes up a fair portion of my morning. But then commenting on what I've read takes even more time -- anywhere from another 20 minutes to an hour or more depending on the length of the post. While the bulk of my day is spent searching and applying for jobs, blogging adds to amount of time my eyeballs are glued to a computer screen. Not all that healthy.

However, the biggest challenge with blogging is in getting people to visit the site and to return once in a while. Without advertising, building an audience seems nearly impossible for a general-topic blog like this. It has been a humbling experience for me because I thought I had enough interesting things to say to build at least a modest community here through word of mouth. As you can see by the numbers on this chart (above), monthly visits to the site are minimal relative to the traffic that other sites receive. And November is shaping up to show a slight decrease, which is discouraging. Even my friends rarely check out the blog, which is probably something I need to reflect on a bit more.

It seems it is much easier to get a reaction by just writing something quick and shallow on Facebook, where there is a captive audience with little time to read long posts.

Various folks have offered advice on how to create more of a buzz and interaction here. My intentions were not to get people to come here through trickery or sensationalism, but to rather focus on the issues of our time (including subject matter from my personal life) with the occasional veering off to something outside of the news. I have also touched on a lot of journalistic issues that I thought would be of some interest to those in the newspaper or media profession. This approach and these topics, however, don't seem to get the viral reaction most bloggers seek.

Hopefully, I will soon be working again and either be blogging on some company's time as part of my job duties or leave the blogging world to pursue some other endeavor. What I won't do is continue to fuel this general-topic blog without an audience or any feedback. I don't want this blog to become nothing more than an electronic a diary.

I have also decided that any future blogs will be more specific. Perhaps I will do a Washington Redskins blog or a commuter blog for Northern Virginians, where there is a natural audience already in place. Seems that unless you're a celebrity, opinionated blogs about news and one's life just don't have the right stuff to go viral, not even on a small scale.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mick, I just did a little math based on your bar graph and my own traffic data. Your obscure blog gets 30 percent more traffic than my obscure blog. You're kicking my butt, dude.

    I guarantee that the vast majority of your readers are "regulars", but I don't have a clue how to draw more of them. Since, like yours, my blog is non-commercial, I don't worry about it. I just like being a voice in the wilderness.

    If my first book ultimately sells, then I'll turn my website into something more commercial, but for now my blog is just a shiny toy I use to entertain myself.

    I'm always amazed when someone I don't know checks in to my blog. Not long ago, the blog guru for the Travel Channel e-mailed me after I blogged about one of their shows, and a while back Old Navy sent me a $10 gift card because I said something nice about them.

    The other thing that blows my mind is where the readers to my blog come from. Basically everywhere. My blog is only a month or two older than yours, and I've had visitors from every continent except Antarctica. I've had visitors from many countries where I don't know a soul (Dubai, Portugal, Brazil, South Africa, Sweden, etc.) Check out the map feature on SiteMeter sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hank, that's surprising since you have more official followers than me. I would think more followers translate into more visits.

    Anyway, I don't mind being a voice in the wilderness either, but my wilderness is shrinking and your comment has been the first I have received in weeks.

    I think a lot of my traffic comes from return visits throughout the day by the same people, who I appreciate enormously, but their interest in my blog doesn't seem to be contagious.

    My time is also running out to find a job. Blogging will soon be the least of my concerns if my luck/the economy doesn't improve sometime in the first quarter of the new year.

    So, we'll see. As I said, this has been a good educational experience if nothing else. I don't think I have the global reach you do. I've had some visits from Europe and Canada, but the rest have been from the states.

    Hey, remember when I use to write columns for your op-ed pages in Florida? I thought the same magic for drawing responses(called letters to the editor back then) would occur here. Along with being a good learning experience, this has also been quite humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't judge by the number of comments you get. Remember that of the thousands of subscribers to the newspaper, there were only a handful of letter writers on any given day, and a lot of those were the chronic kind who wrote all the time.

    The same is true for sports talk radio, where you hear the same regulars calling all the time even though there are many thousands who never call.

    ReplyDelete