Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Favorite places in Northern Virginia

This is the first in an occasional series on the "best of Northern Virginia."

Best Winery in Loudoun County. This one was tough because western Loudoun has many fine wineries. But I keep going back to Tarara Winery because frankly, it's one of the most scenic places in the county. Even if I am not in the market to buy a bottle or do a tasting, I find the setting very tranquil. Hundreds of acres roll along the Potomac River, close to Point of Rocks, and about 10 miles from Leesburg. There are views of Sugarloaf Mountain in Maryland, the site of another good area winery. The facility has a nice deck for guests, a lake to walk around and concerts in pavilion area. The winery also has a "cave" where the wine is made and bottled. This is an estate winery. Along with grapes, Tarara also grows other fruits. Oh, and the wine, while getting pricey of late, is also pretty good. http://www.tarara.com/

Best Day Hike in Northern Virginia. Hands down, it's Old Rag Mountain, a little over an hour's drive from D.C., near Sperryville. This mountain stands apart from the rest of the Blue Ridge chain, but it is part of the Shenandoah National Park. It's a rigorous hike and involves "rock scrambling" near the summit. I have done the hike twice, albeit when I was in far better shape. I have drawn blood on this hike, so yes, it's a bit hazardous. It's about seven miles or more depending where you park. But it is not a casual seven miles, so be prepared. http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id155.html

2 comments:

  1. I like it, I like it...

    I have never been/done either of these, so they are going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous! Didn't know about these when I lived in Northern Virgina. I'm having fun checking out the Texas wineries, though.

    ReplyDelete