Saturday, August 29, 2009

Thoughts on a Saturday morning


I suspect that Saturday is the best day of the week for the unemployed. It's a day in which one can feel less freakish. Most of the world isn't working. There are cars in driveways and apartment parking lots during the daytime. There are fewer people walking around in suits or business-casual garb. No company ID badges on display in coffee shops or at the gas pumps. It's easier to slip into denial on Saturdays. Easier to escape. Reminders of reality lose a bit of their sharp edge.

However, all is not perfect for the unemployed on Saturdays. My wife and I don't do the things we did pre-layoff. No long drives that eat up gasoline. No fancy restaurants. No splurging at the mall or buying drinks for friends. We get our DVD rentals from Red Box ($1.00 per night). No more strolling through Blockbuster. No more checking out the new releases in Best Buy. These small sacrifices now will hopefully prevent us from taking up residence under a highway overpass in the future.

Unemployment not only impacts jobless folks, it impacts spouses, friends, businesses and the economy in general. That is why it is so important for our political leaders to focus on getting people back to work. Until unemployment rates are lowered, the economy will never fully recover. I also suspect that crime will get worse and homelessness, particularly among folks my age, will increase. And if anyone thinks they are immune to these problems because they live in more affluent areas like Northern Virginia or Southern California, think again.

If I was the news director for NBC Nightly News, I would make the unemployment situation a regular part of each evening's newscast in order to pressure politicians into helping businesses create jobs -- real jobs, not just contrived highway repair projects or gushy government positions. Instead, we get Michael Jackson updates every night. Does Brian Williams have a clue as to the fact that the unemployment problem is far worse than the statistics show? Are major network news anchors so out of touch with reality and so rich that they have lost all sense of priorities and news judgment?

I try to turn my brain off to these issues on Saturdays. Today I am going to play music with friends and take a walk with my spouse. Unemployment is somehow making me fatter, so I have to walk more often. Tomorrow we'll go to the farmer's market. Sundays aren't quite as good as Saturdays, only because for many years I worked on Sundays.

I still haven't gotten use to being home on Sundays. There is a different stride to Sundays. Folks slow down. By evening, many people are prepping themselves for another work week. Some get the Monday morning blues on Sunday night. I feel the pressure of another week beginning, but for far different reasons now.

My cat, Jebbles, wants me to stop blogging now and take him out in the backyard. Another Saturday ritual that's good for the soul. His priorities are to hunt down a bird or chase a butterfly. He never catches anything. I admire his never giving up, though. He boils life down to the simplest of pleasures and tasks. Probably a lesson in there for many of us to learn from.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is great that you are playing in the band -- that has to be a great stress-reliever... I started taking pottery (where I produce things only a mother - or very very kind friends - could love) on Sunday nights to take my mind off the stress of starting another work week. It actually works with the stress. Play-doh could do the same for a lot less money, for all I know.

    Oh, and speaking of cats, it is good that Jebbles doesn't actually catch anything -- my cat isabella brought in a huge cicada from the balcony the other night and scared me to death (they are loud enough outside, let alone in a 12 X 12 living room!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a cat that caught a cicada years ago. Brought it into the condo from the deck. It was a nightmare, complete with sound effects that I didn't know existed on this planet -- from the bug, mostly, but a few from us, too.

    Playing music is something that motivates me to leave the house and socialize with people. Good things to do when it feels like the walls are closing in. I am sure pottery classes, golf or most anything that taps into another portion of the brain would also work wonders...and you don't have to be asked or talk about your job or job search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself looking forward to your next blog. They are interesting, close to home and I enjoy reading them. No job seems secure right now (unless you are .gov - haven't seen layoffs there) and I find myself holding my breath when word of RIFs are coming down here at work.......I continue to hope that you find something soon. Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete