Friday, November 13, 2009

Seeking the skinny on Florida

What's going on in Florida? Every time I explore the possibility of moving back to The Sunshine State, I learn of something new that squashes my enthusiasm.

Northern Virginia isn't a cheap place to live. And we're currently existing on one income since my layoff last year. This is suppose to be an area with a fair number of jobs, but I have found it very difficult to get a foot in the door in any industry related to what I did as a newspaper editor for 29 years. I've tried public relations firms, college communications departments and a host of specialty publications in an around D.C. Still, no viable offers that would allow us to continue to live in this pricey part of country for very long.

In the past, when the going got tough, I got going - to Florida - as I mentioned in prior posts. The sun, warmth and adventure of living near the Florida Keys and Miami was just what the doctor ordered early in my adult life. My brand-new townhouse in Homestead, Fla., cost a grand total of $39,000, so the mortgage was affordable, even with a skimpy paycheck.

But now, more than 25 years later, Florida doesn't seem so inviting. While the recession has dropped the price of housing, many of the homes for sale have been gutted by previous owners who were foreclosed upon. And there are a ton of foreclosure properties there, many of which are in a state of disrepair. Condo fees are through the roof because there are fewer occupied units to share the overall costs. Single-family homes are falling apart...at least the ones I could afford.

In addition, there is flood insurance to contend with. And in some areas, hurricane insurance (which is separate from flood and homeowner's insurance) would cost more than the monthly mortgage payment.

Renting isn't a great option either. Rents aren't that much cheaper than here, at least not in the bigger cities.

When I lived in Florida, alligators were mostly confined to the Everglades. Now they're showing up in supermarket parking lots and in people's kitchens on a regular basis throughout the state.

But the one thing that never changes in Florida is the crime rate. Gosh, even in relatively small towns like Lakeland, the crime stats are overwhelming compared to where I live in Loudoun County, Va.

Many folks on online forums say that moving to Florida without a job these days is death sentence. This is amazing since Florida had always been a place where you could go with a few hundred bucks in your wallet and eventually get a job, apartment and begin to build a modest life. Apparently, this is no longer the case and could land you on a park bench or homeless shelter in a hurry, particularly at my age.

Tampa, the area of the state I would like to live in, seems to have a fair number of jobs on web sites like Craigslist.com. Of course, with CList, you never know how many of those listings are actually legitimate. I have applied to a lot of jobs in Florida in the last year and not one has responded in a positive or informative manner. Most don't reply at all. I have also contacted real estate agents who never return my calls or answer my e-mails. Very strange. Florida is still attached to the mainland last time I checked on Google Earth.

Still, the lure of sunshine and warmth is mighty strong, especially when it appears that finding a decent-paying job in Northern Virginia isn't as easy as I thought it would be while another winter approaches. I like it here in the Commonwealth - went to college in the southern part of the state and worked at three different newspapers here - but am getting the feeling certain forces are telling me it's time to leave. Where to go is the big question right now. We like our native New York but can't afford the area around NYC. We enjoy states like North Carolina and Georgia but have been unable to find jobs there. We've heard that it's difficult to find work if you're applying from out of state. If that is the case, then we need to pick an area and try our best to find something once there. A risky proposition in this recession.

You can buy a short-sale house in Florida for the price of the average car in Loudoun County. (We have an inordinate number of BMWs, Caddies, Jaguars, etc. here
.) I want to move to a place where I am relatively certain I won't be homeless by age 60. But without jobs, I am not so certain the low-cost of housing would be much of an advantage in Florida. It's great that Florida doesn't have a state income tax, but you have to have an income in order for that to be a plus.

I'd love to hear from anyone who might stumble upon this blog and who is living in Florida. Contact me if you care to share the real story about the current state of the state. Perhaps the picture I am getting is skewed by distance and online forums which tend to be overly negative. If there still are opportunities in Florida, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment